About This Item
Outside United States: BS EN ISO 14001:2004
German: DIN EN ISO 14001:2004
Spanish: UNE EN ISO 14001:2004
This International Standard specifies requirements for an environmental management system to enable an organization to develop and implement a policy and objectives which take into account legal requirements and other requirements to which the organization subscribes, and information about significant environmental aspects. It applies to those environmental aspects that the organization identifies as those which it can control and those which it can influence. It does not itself state specific environmental performance criteria.
This International Standard is applicable to any organization that wishes to
- establish, implement, maintain and improve an environmental management system,
- assure itself of conformity with its stated environmental policy,
- demonstrate conformity with this International Standard by
- making a self-determination and self-declaration, or
- seeking confirmation of its conformance by parties having an interest in the organization, such as customers, or
- seeking confirmation of its self-declaration by a party external to the organization, or
- seeking certification/registration of its environmental management system by an external organization.
All the requirements in this International Standard are intended to be incorporated into any environmental management system. The extent of the application depends on factors such as the environmental policy of the organization, the nature of its activities, products and services and the location where and the conditions in which it functions. This International Standard also provides, in Annex A, informative guidance on its use.